Saturday, September 12, 2009

Mother Nature's Tears of Joy

So, remember way back when I started this thing, I mentioned that it never rains here? Well, upon my decision to take the bottled water back to Costco - opting for the more conservation-friendly decision to go to the trouble of having a pitcher of filtered water - guess what happened... it RAINED. Hey, I'm not saying that it rained thanks to me, but you know, it probably did. Earth's little thank you gift. Imagine if we all stopped buying water??? The polar ice caps would stop melting, the smog would lift and a herd of woolly mammoths would emerge from the jungle! You know, probably...

Okay, maybe not, but the point is this: conserving water may be a thankless job, but that doesn't mean it's not worth it. No one ever high-fives me when I turn the sink pressure down and I never hear applause when I step out of my Navy shower. And believe me, the guy at Costco couldn't give a flying fig newton that I was returning this case of water for the sake of my children (and his!). I'm sure I even sacrificed a few points with my poor mother in-law, whom I dragged along with me. But it just has to be done. The only comfort is knowing that there is a possibility that someone else is making the same choices. If you are, then go ahead and high-five your screen - I've got my hand up!

Anyway, this is it for me and bottled water. That's right. Are you kidding, I just drove 5 miles to Costco to return 70 bottles of water for not even 7 bucks. If I buy any now, I've really got to be crazy. I'm going to have to leave the house prepared now, I know. Especially for the kid's sake. But this is it. My house does need to be earthquake ready, and for that I will keep my emergency water, but other than that, we're done. Now I have to tell my husband...

2 comments:

  1. tell me what?? hehe --- way to go honey.

    high five!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that's not true, Karen. If I saw you step out of the shower, I'd applaud. ;)

    ReplyDelete