Friday, September 4, 2009

In The Navy... La la la la la la!

So, I caught project runway during the second show and - as anyone with TiVo or DVR knows - I couldn't believe how much longer it took to watch something that hadn't been recorded. So, I hit the shower with plans to watch the rest of the program without commercial interruption courtesy of my beloved fast-forward button. Because, of course, my usual shower, from start to finish, would cause me to have enough wiggle room to breeze through anything I didn't want to see.

When I got out of the shower, my husband looked at me like I had four heads. "Wow! That was fast!" Given his surprise, my initial reaction was to call him out for obviously not reading my blog yesterday, because if he had, he might have guessed how I had pulled off such a superman-in-the-telephone-booth moment - the Navy shower!

That's right folks, I turned off the shower head whenever I wasn't rinsing. And while I did deprive myself of the frivolous back massage, it was not bad at all. Most important factor was that I was not cold like I thought I was going to be. And because the water was off, I made it a point to soap up faster so that I could turn it back on.

It's funny, unlike the toilet flushing, this is going to be a lot easier to get used to. I took a shower after my run today (I usually only take one shower a day, mind you, but yesterday was an exception. 90 degree weather and a 60 degree angle on the hill outside my house. You do the stinky math!) and I noticed myself feeling how wasteful it was to have the water running when I wasn't actually rinsing or using it. At that moment I had a flashback to my early twenties when I traveled around Europe and I had to pay for the water in my shower at this one youth hostle in Switzerland. Believe me, water suddenly did not become necessary for most of the shower when I had to take a walk of shame to put more money in the timer.

Anyway, I have never been brave enough to actually join the Navy - the least I can do is follow their rules to conserve water!

No comments:

Post a Comment