Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Missed You Yesterday

Thanks to my stellar time management skills, I missed any opportunity I might have had to blog before konking out at about 9:30. But thanks to a good night's sleep, I am finally remembering to brag about my dishwasher - something that I've been meaning to do for weeks now. I may not be blood related to "Kenmore," but as far as I'm concerned, it can call me Mama. It is has been the biggest water-saving asset in my house. Sure, I've been using it anyway, but day by day I have been rinsing the dishes less and less before putting them in the dishwasher and darn-it to hell, that baby has the dishes looking shinier than... well, okay, I'll stop with the drama. They're clean, let's just put it that way.

Now, I don't want to get into a whole my-dishwasher-is-in-the-honors-program-at-school thing with you, but I think it's time that we all challenge our dishwasher to aim for the Dean's List. If you're anything like my mother (hey, she deserves me talking smack about her behind her back on this thing. She told me she hasn't read it yet!) you WASH the dishes before they go in the dishwasher. Honey, that just don't make no kinda sense! You can save as much as 20 gallons per load. Something else I didn't know was that it actually takes more energy to heat up the water if you hand wash than is used by a dishwasher. For more on this, and for recommendations of dishwashers that save the most energy and water you can go to: http://www.greenerchoices.org/products.cfm?product=watersaving

I'll have to go back to my other dishwasher entry to see if I'm repeating myself, but gimme a break! I'll need to lose 10 pounds and get a tummy tuck before something else can make me look this good.

2 comments:

  1. I too, my friend, was brought up to rinse/clean the dishes before putting them in the dishwasher (are our mom's friends or something??). Agreed, that makes no sense! It's actually nice to know that we are in fact saving water by loading up all our really dirty (unrinsed dishes) into that dishwasher we have (our Bosch is quite brilliant too- another dean's list student). I can't wait to tell Kevin as he is always asking me what little things we can be doing better to help the environment (we are by no means great at this but at least trying)- and little did we know we were already doing this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm guessing the whole wash the dishes before you wash the dishes thing came about during the early days of dishwashers, when they probably weren't as efficient as our technologically advanced models of Tomorrowland. Not sufficiently rinsing them would cause nasty globules of food particles to solidify on the plate to the point of having to jackhammer them clean.

    But that's just a guess.

    ReplyDelete