Monday, September 21, 2009

Overboard

So, in my blind zeal for rectifying the world's water shortage, I forgot to consider that I am dragging other members of my family around with me. So far, as I have mentioned, they have been more than willing to take on these new habits. My son has learned to let yellow mellow and my husband turns the water down to half the pressure. But the no bottled drinks thing isn't going to fly. My husband has negotiated a compromise with me. Rather than completely cutting out bottled drinks, he is going to start by reducing what we purchase to one bottle (I think it's a half gallon) of his favorite drink per week. Believe it or not, we could go through one of those lickety split, but now, once a week.

You'll remember yesterday in an unintentional water pun I mentioned that my husband is my filter. Well, this is the perfect example. Now that he is back, he has reminded me of something I've probably talked about before on this here bloggy thing. Baby steps. If you're at the bottom of a flight of steps, you can't get to the top without crossing over those first few. I tried to leap to the top - it's not going to work. I shouldn't expect that of myself and I shouldn't expect it of anyone else. Baby steps. I think it was seeing those kids in that documentary I posted who had no water in their homes because a private company had taken over the water system. Can you blame me for going overboard after seeing that level of injustice?

In the meantime, you'll notice I haven't gotten Ebola or Pink-eye or Rickets (what the heck is rickets anyway?) from drinking from the same glass this weekend. I'm going to put it in the dishwasher tonight, but for no particular reason other than my own arbitrary limit. It seems like if I only drink water, and the water isn't sitting in the cup, I could conceivably just keep drinking out of it, thereby making fewer dishes to wash. I feel like Kramer in that episode of Seinfeld where he test drives a car that Jerry is thinking of buying and pushes the gas gauge to the brink and then keeps going in a Thelma and Louise moment. Hahaa! Good stuff. But, I'll stop. If I act like I have no limits, then ya'll will just stop taking me seriously. Baby steps.

1 comment:

  1. I love that Seinfeld episode! Especially George and the Candy Line Up.

    "THEY ALL HAVE NUGGET!" "... Not Skittles."

    Rickets - a softening of the bones from lack of Vitamin D. I think sailors in ye olden days used to suffer from it.

    ReplyDelete