Saturday, October 17, 2009

Time's Up

Once again, I have read my blog after writing it and have decided to preempt what you are about to read with a lighthearted story, since the rest is, I dare say, is a snoozefest. My son often comments on the watering can in my bathroom (for anyone just joining us, the watering can is there to catch water that is wasted when I'm waiting for the shower to heat up so I don't freeze my patootie off). "What are you doing?" he often says to me while I hold the watering in the line of the shower stream. He often comments on it while going potty and picks it up and plays with it every chance he gets. Then, the other day, we arrived home and I told him to go potty as usual. As I waited for him in another room, I heard a loud, echoing stream of water. I had no idea what it could be. By the time I had arrived at the bathroom door, there was my little darling, pants down, pouring "liquid" into the toilet from the watering can. In short, he had peed in it.

So, the little one earned some points for creativity. And, on more than one occasion, when asked what he wants to do when he grows up, has told me that he wants to "pee standing up." I guess this was a dream come true for him. For that I couldn't be happier. But I think there are a few years before he fully grasps what it is we're trying to do in this house. Perhaps he thought that putting any liquid in the watering can would save water.

Okay, now for the blah part of the blaaahg...

Putting the time into a blog means facing the harsh reality that no one might actually read it. Then there is the even harsher reality that there might not be anyone acting on anything they do read. So, in an effort for this to mean something, I sometimes end up talking about it in a way that might put a bit more pressure on people than I mean to. Where is the line between being an informative, friendly person, and being a really irritating. I think tonight I might have inched a little to close to irritating. At a friends house, I found myself going on and on about how we should all slowly cut bottled water out of our lives. I have no idea how long I went on and on before my husband caressed my hand and said, "Hon, it's getting late."

A friend of mine, not too long ago commented on one of my blog entries, saying that she told her mother that she doesn't have to rinse the dishes before putting them in the dishwasher. Of course, her mother realized that the dishes still came out clean. I don't know if she shared that story with many people, but it seems to me that it would be difficult to relay it without sounding like either the most lifeless person on earth or some raving extremist. Let's face it, although I have to believe that this stuff makes a difference, it's not something that makes you sit on the edge of your seat. But, for anyone who is starting to do this stuff, make sure you tell other people who are willing to listen. I didn't know a lot of the information that I am finding out thanks to this blog, and I'm sure a lot of other people out there don't know about this stuff either. So what if not everyone listens. You'll eventually find someone who will.

I'm fortunate to have awesome friends who did listen and even made suggestions for this blog. My friends are smarter than me, so I have some reading to do before commenting on the scary water tales I heard from them. But next time, I think I will bring a stopwatch and have my husband say, "SO! How about Britney Spears? What's she up to these days." Of course, that will only work if she's not making a total ass of herself by wasting water. You never know with that girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment