Friday, October 23, 2009

Coke-a-Bowla

So, I'm sitting here and thinking about what to blog about and I realized that, thanks to my mother, I have a six pack of Diet Coke in my cabinet - all in plastic bottles. Now, in my opinion, it is healthier for you to shove a bottle of Diet Coke where the sun don't shine than drink it (click here and here for some information on what Diet Soda has been linked to). But I think I found an even better use for it - my toilet tank. Does it matter that there is Diet Coke in it? Seriously, can anyone tell me? I'm happy to pour it out and use water, but I just couldn't think of a reason why I should do that.

I have to admit that I flushed the toilet three times before I got it right - thereby wasting water - but I ended up putting three plastic bottles of Diet Coke in the tank. That's 1500 mL or about 3 pints or 48 Fl Oz. Uhhh, anyone know math? Should I just put the whole six pack in there?

Now that I'm writing this, I'm realizing that I have not yet taken the labels off of the Coke bottles, which I should probably do. I just got so excited! I have to admit, I'm a little nervous to flush with those things knocking around in there. I'll let you know if there's a problem. But so far, the world has not crumbled, and the tank filled up just fine.

Anyone else gonna give this a try?

1 comment:

  1. Well, I do know that in theory, eight fluid ounces of water equal eight ounces on a scale. I'm not physicist, but I'm wondering if you're having some kind of bouyancy issue with either A) the liquid being Diet Coke or B) that it's the trapped liquid in an outside moving environment (the water swirling around the tank as it fills) that's causing some displacement inside the bottles and moving slightly enough to make them float or tip over.

    My suggestion is to dump the soda and fill the bottles up with sand (thinking of the Brick in the Tank theory). See if they sit in the tank a little better. It's just a wild guess.

    Also, yes, using your "verp" bath water to flush your toilet can work. It's also some kind of physics/water displacement thing that I don't understand, but think about it. When you flush your toilet, all you're doing is opening a stopper that allows more water to be drained into your bowel. Water finds it's natural stopping point so I guess the shape of the bowel prevents it from overflowing. The only time it does overflow is when your pipes are clogged and the water has no escape route. Have you ever mopped your floor and then poured the dirty water in the bucket into your bowel? It's the same principle.

    But over time aren't you going to have a hard time with a killer ring around your bath tub? ...And DON'T YOU DARE start using dirty mop water for your hot baths!

    ReplyDelete