Thursday, October 15, 2009

Making Sense

My wallet was stollen last night. It's okay, these things happen. I wasn't hurt or mugged or even bothered, so that was nice of the robber. And really, I can't complain too much knowing that sometimes people are attacked for such things. But here's the kicker. This is the second friggin time in a matter of... maybe four months. The first time, the loser took it from the front seat of my car while I was vacuuming it (the car, not the wallet). This time, someone must have taken it from my bag while I was reading at a tea cafe. Sipping tea and crime don't mix! (Though I could see Kevin Spacey sip tea while playing a villain. I don't know why. But in all other cases, NO!) Anyway, neither time was I harmed or was anyone I know harmed. And that's all that matters.

What does this have to do with water. Well, in my frustration, I've been muttering to myself all day about how this just doesn't make any sense. Do I have "please steal stuff from me" written across my forehead? Or maybe it's more direct. "I'm a schmuck." So I was thinking about something else that makes no sense to me that I've been meaning to blog about for a while, but too many other things have been at the forefront of my mind. Not this time! Today is the day to talk about things that don't make sense. You know what doesn't make sense to me. Washing out your recyclables with clean water.

Now, I have to admit, I was going to talk about how it doesn't make sense to clean out your recyclables period. I mean, let's face it, it's glorified garbage, right? But then doing a little poking around before opening my big mouth to you all, I realized that there are people who have to sort through this stuff and not cleaning something out could make a person barf when the smell some week old remnants of chipotle bean dip. I HATE throwing up and could not live with myself knowing that I made someone throw up at work. So please, do wash out your recyclables. (For more on washing out recyclables go to http://www.slate.com/id/2210344/ ) However, I was thinking of all the used water used for soaking things, washing hands, washing fruit. If there is some way to save that in a bucket, then I think we should all start doing that. Then, if you have no recyclables to wash out, c'est la vie (Pardon, je ne spell francais).

Admit it. We've all wasted gallons of water cleaning out one jar of peanut butter so that it could be reincarnated as a Christmas tree ornament or a rear view mirror. But let's face it: for now, it's just the high face on the totem pole of trash. So dirty water should be as clean as it gets. Now that makes sense!

No comments:

Post a Comment