Friday, October 2, 2009

At the Car Wash, Whoa whoa whoa whoa!

I'm thinking of naming my car the Schmutz Express. No? How about the Crumb Bun? Let's just get right to the point, shall we? Crap Bubble! Is that better? Whatever garbage reference you may like best, you would think of all of them when you see my car. Why don't I get it washed? Well, what stops me from doing every other freaking everyday thing other people do? Water. Unfortunately, I came across a little piece of information before washing my car that has blocked my ability to pay a visit to the nearest 76 station with a drive through washer: it takes 100 gallons to wash a car. One HUNDRED.

Okay, so I'll get a bucket and use it in my driveway. Better? NO! Turns out all the junk in the soap and stuff runs off the driveway, and into the sewer and well, ends up in the ocean (not in magic fairy water heaven, like I thought). Oh, you oceans and sea creatures! Just when we humans want to go do something in ignorance, you're always ruining the fun!

So what is a person who can't see out her car windows supposed to do? Well, it turns out that there are some products that will allow you to do a "waterless," and more importantly, "Non-toxic" car wash. Here are some links:

http://www.luckyearth.com/index.html
http://www.ecotouch.net/product_details.php?pid=19
http://www.laurakleinsgreencleaning.com/Green-Products/?gclid=CN-gosuSn50CFRlcagodLklr-Q

Please know that I have not tried ANY of these products yet and that I'm just putting random ones I find up here. If you want to let me know about a particular one, please do, and I'll do the same. I'll be honest, I'm just going to go by price unless someone knows of one I should not live without.

I have to say that I am really disappointed that my son will not have the memory of getting all wet and soapy in the driveway in his bathing suit as we wash the car. It's why people live in the suburbs, right? But I guess I would rather sacrifice that cheesy Kodak moment than his future water supply!

1 comment:

  1. Crazy story--I have a Google Alert setup for my name and all of a sudden, I start getting links to your blog. Why? My name is Karen Hartline. ;)

    I'm really enjoying reading your blog and it's making me think a lot more about the water I'm using. Alright, I'll be honest...the water I'm wasting. I have now started turning the faucet off while I later my hands or brush my teeth until I need it.

    Looking forward to reading more. Sorry if I'm popping up on any alerts you have for your name. I tend to be all over the internet. :S
    The 'other' Karen Hartline

    P.S. Are you really in East Bay? I'm in Soma...no kidding!

    ReplyDelete