Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Hypocratic Oath

Okay okay. So last night was not my best night. It was between watching a double feature of The Ring and The Blair Witch Project, or blogging about water. I thought if I picked the latter, I would actually be able to sleep last night. Guess not.

So tonight I am going to put on the original hat I wore when I started this thing and talk about another water saving tactic that I've read. But before I do just that, I want to make sure that we are all on the same page, so that no one ever calls me a hypocrite. I have not yet put a plastic bottle in my toilet tank yet. It takes two people and by golly, I just have not grabbed my husband to lend an extra pair of hands. I thought it might be helpful for all of you who have been trying to do this since I posted it, if I posted this video that shows you how to actually do this (sorry to everyone who actually just plunked a bottle of water in your toilet tank). This nugget also includes other things you can do to recycle two liter plastic bottles. Anyway, I have to get on this, but I literally am waiting for the next plastic bottle to cross my path (my husband is almost at the end of his weekly bottle of cranberry juice, but I think that might be too big). I'll find one.

My point is this, please know that I am always coming from a sincere place, even if these ideas are coming at me faster than I can keep up with them. The watering can plan hit a few snags before I actually got one. The point is, it is now a household constant. Believe me, if I'm not planning to do something I talk about, I'll tell you.

Anyway, I returned to that great site creative citizen for another idea on saving water and came across the idea of using hand sanitizer instead of washing your hands every single time you want to wash up. Of course, given the pig cooties going around, I know everyone is scrubbing their hands to the bone to ensure they don't get it. Well, I know the brand "clean well" makes a sanitizer that is all natural, so you don't have to feel like you're slathering your hands with plutonium before you eat your PB&J. Of course, this is another area where it will take me some time to switch, because I bought 1000 gallons of hand soap at Costco and have only used about 1/3rd of it since last year. Of course, that is because I add water to it, WHICH in turn saves water because you do not need as much water to rinse it off. So, my water nerd status is saved and for all of you who are about to make a run to the store for hand soap, consider getting sanitizer instead. It can be just as if not more effective than soap and - drum roll please - you would be saving a whopping 3,285 gallons of water.

No comments:

Post a Comment