Monday, December 21, 2009

The Waiting Place

I'm running late according to my little personal schedule... that's the only way anything happens in my life. So I decided I would just put a link. Now I feel sick about what I just read. So, herein lies a dilemma. Do I post this depression inducing article full of statistics you don't want to hear and risk you not reading this blog because I'm the biggest Debbie Downer (One of the funniest sketches ever on SNL - the actors can't hold it together) you've ever met in your life. So, before I post, I will tell you about what I've been thinking lately about, well, all the c-r-a-p (I spell so the kids won't know I'm using a bad word) that's going on, well, everywhere you turn.

The only way any problem is going to get fixed is if ordinary people get it done. Pick something that you make an effort to do every day - save energy, conserve water, reduce waste... whatever - it will become more important to you. When it becomes more important to you, you will encourage other people to do it. When you encourage other people to do it, it becomes important to the broader population. Don't wait for legislation on water conservation - the government is not going to get this done for us. Don't wait for a leader. YOU lead. I'm not talking about using a soapbox, I'm talking about when you're using a bar of soap (Hey, looky there!) Trust me, if your going to the trouble to think about how much water you use, or unplugging your appliances at night (btw, you are using energy if your appliances are plugged in, even if everything is "off" - something like 70 percent of the energy used in a house is used while electronics are "off", just because they're plugged in. I'll look it up with a more exact figure) you will begin to want other people to do it too. It will become important to you. Just like when Seinfeld wanted Newman to try the dental floss he was using. We get into the things we do and that's how it spreads around.

Okay, bring it full circle Karen... back to the depressing link. Children are dying because they do not have access to clean water. Children like mine and yours. 36 states face impending water shortages. Are we really going to wait for leaders to tell us this is a problem? Believe me, I've been one of those people waiting for Obama to take office, waiting for health care reform, waiting for Copenhagen... and where has it gotten for me. Even my son can recall Dr. Seuss' "waiting place" (Oh, The Places You'll Go) and know that that's not where you want to be in life. As ordinary people, living our lives, we can do SO much more than anything any government can accomplish. They are making all of these choices based on what they THINK we're willing to live with. But we have to show them how we ARE living. Save water, save energy, reduce waste... they'll catch up.

No comments:

Post a Comment