Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Two Trips to Starbucks...

As you know, I don't generally talk about all the things you can buy to make your home more water efficient, because, let's face it - if we could all just gut our houses and start all over with low flow from top to bottom, I would just live my life without jabbering on and on about this stuff. But today is different. Today, I'm gonna ask: got $25 bucks?

No, not for me, dude! Turns out, according to Water Missions, if you can spare just $25 bucks, you can provide clean water for a family. Water For People is another organization that will turn your money into access to clean water. Both of these charities got charity navigator's highest rating, which is why I'm listing them first. There's also The Water Project (it's listed on Guidestar, but honestly, I don't know what that means in terms of rating the charity. If you find out, let me know) which claims that a $10 donation is enough to ensure one person clean water for 10 years. Friggin ten years for the cost of, what, like two Venti Carmel Macchiatos? I mean, I don't want to get all Sally Struthers on you, so I'll just say this... that's messed up.

When I started poking around to see if I could give money to get clean water to someone, I totally figured that my blog entry would be about how we should all pool our money to ensure that a family could have clean water. So when I found this out, a big part of me was really happy. But another part of me is kind of depressed. Why is this even a problem in the world??????????????????????????????????????

No comments:

Post a Comment