Monday, March 8, 2010

Backed Up

I'm alive, I just have been buried. Mostly under a calendar. How does that happen. Well, you know all of those comprehensive magazine calendars you see with a roundup of every friggin thing there is to do in an area. Well, someone has to write that. In the case of a certain publication in my area, that's me. I actually asked the editor to take it off my plate because I'm really not getting much else done. Anyway, it's not an excuse, but I'm having to store all of my water news in my head until I actually get a chance to sit here and write it. Now, of course, the only thing going through my head is how I forgot to pack a pillow case for my son this morning in his school back for nap time. My kid's well-being trumps all, my friends...

I will say that I have been seeing many MANY commercials plugging the eBay woman for governor, and I have been doing a lot of wondering about what her stance is on the whole levy issue. I don't know if you remember a few bloggies back when I posted that 60 minutes segment about the levy's here in CA and how we are less than one earthquake away from them collapsing into oblivion - causing the salt water to mix in with the water in the reservoir. So, I'm going to vote for the person who pledges to fix that as a top three priority - equal to healthcare and education. Anyone who doesn't see it as a top priority is, frankly, a moron. More on this in later episodes. But for now, speaking of earthquakes...

I was up way to late the other night working on, you guessed it, the friggin calendar, when I tuned into CNN. There's nothing like watching a little bit of the boob tube just before I go to bed to shut off my brain and lul me into sleepyland. Now, I should mention that I HATE CNN because I think that all news should be publicly funded. I want to know NEWS, not the version that Gold Bond Medicated Ointment or Viagara or whatever the heck other sponsor thinks is news. I plan on pounding this into my son's consciousness so that he never thinks that the sensationalist crap is news. It's not. It's the new MTV. It's the alternate ESPN. Anyway, I'm flipping through and they are covering the earthquake in Chile. What a nightmare. First Haiti and now this. So powerful that they were saying the rotation of the earth actually sped up a fraction of a second because of the magnitude.

I've never been through a major earthquake. I remember one when I was living in NYC. I remember knowing exactly what it was and going back to sleep. (This was in the late 90's, I believe.) But now that I live here in the Bay Area, I know I'm going to face one. Especially since epicenters have been ping ponging around the globe. I want to have a water supply and thought I would just buy a case of bottled water. Turns out, emergency water supplies come in bags, not bottles. Not sure why. I think it's the responsible thing to do, but is it a little crazy? Am I doing the smart thing or am I doing the Ted Kazinski thing?

My time is up. More tomorrow...

1 comment:

  1. Considering where you live, it's the smart thing. Unless you filled your apartment with it, that'd be ted k. (could be a fun fort for your son - stacked water bags). People probably did more for silly ol' Y2K than we do for the actual everyday possibilities.

    ReplyDelete