Saturday, August 29, 2009

I knew once I started reading about water conservation that I was going to come across a lot of scary stuff that would motivate me to continue to conserve water. But the other day I came across something I really didn't want to hear. I mean, tell me to pee in the shower, sure! I'll do it. But this... THIS? Rrrr... Okay, now I've made a big deal about it and when you hear what it is you're going to think I'm overreacting. It's the garbage disposal. The garbage disposal I have always lived without until about a year and a half ago. But now that I have one, I throw EVERYTHING in there. No more stinky trash. Just send it to magical, fairy garbage land and never think about it again.

Well, according to http://www.monolake.org/about/waterconservation, it turns out that using my garbage disposal less can save me 50-150 gallons of water a month. It's just something I can't ignore if I'm going to do this right. Of course, I could throw all of it into the garbage, but they recommend composting. How right you are people who are way smarter than me! But um, I live in an apartment and I don't think my neighbors would appreciate me taking up their yard with a compost heap. So, I looked it up and I easily found out that there is an entire website for my area's waste collection. There is a special garbage can for all foodwaste (which must be put in a brown bag, milk container or ice cream container.

But it's so easy just to send it down a magical pipe in my sink!!! No! No, Karen, stop it! 50-150 Gallons. Goodbye garbage disposal!!!

1 comment:

  1. Awesome -- now I dont have to worry about the sink getting clogged up!

    ReplyDelete